Over sharp treble

Alan Forsyth alanforsyth@fortune4.fsnet.co.uk
Mon, 1 Nov 2004 00:31:00 -0000

Hello all,

Mind you, I've quite often had the situation where my ETD is displaying =
two different readings up in the last octave. I will tune a string and =
as soon as I move my arm away to move the mute the display starts moving =
towards the flat side. When I move my arm back again the pitch rises =
back to it's original position. The ETD is obviously reading a direct =
sound on the one hand and reading a reflected sound on the other. Now =
this begs the question; do our ears pick up the direct sound or the =
reflected sound? This might account for some customers saying that our =
tuning in the high treble is flat when they in fact are listening to the =
reflected sound while we as tuners had tuned it to the direct sound.

AF
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: ilex cameron ross=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Sunday, October 31, 2004 9:34 PM
  Subject: RE: Over sharp treble

  Joe, you are truly a role model in this sense for us tuners as we grow =
up (or listen to too much loud R&R) and lose our ears. I've always felt =
that it's ridiculous in today's day and age for any hearing loss to =
cause poor tuning, between aids and electronic tuners. You also are =
answering my question - whether it's the tuner or humidity causing that =
drastic of a difference.=20

  HEAR HEAR and thx,
  ilex