Cracked Lid

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4@earthlink.net
Mon, 1 Nov 2004 06:16:15 -0600

>Good thoughts.
>I think the problem with this particular lid (the Steinway I've mentioned)
>is the lack of cross banding.  I' ve seen this omition before when I did a
>lot of furniture repair in another life.  Also, the oak core tends to move
>more, ends being the worst.
>
>Paul C
>
>    Paul
>   I agree about the cross banding thought. Stwys are poplar which is more
> stable than oak IMO.

Chestnut was a common furniture core wood too, and looks a lot like oak or
ash. It's more dimensionally stabile than either, which is why it was used
so much under veneers. For what it's worth.

Ron N

Thanks, Ron.  Chestnut is not a common species in the upper midwest.  I know
little about its use, though have repaired pieces that customers said were
made of chestnut. The resemblance to oak made it hard to identify. The
"uncommon" wood seemed to make the piece more valuable.

Paul C