humidity level for conditioning new pinblock

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Mon, 1 Nov 2004 08:46:44 EST

Hi Bob
  Personally, I don't like the idea of drilling or stringing a block  with MC
as high as yours probably is. Ideally, Having the block at some  consistent
resonable  MC level for fitting, boring & stringing would be  ideal.
  The way I see it is that the end product will live in an indoor
environment with RH levels in the mid 4o% in my area. So I want to work with the  block
in this range.
  Drying down the block can take a good long time because of it's  density so
don't hurry. There is a MC chart in Hoadleys handbook which relates  temp &
R.H. to end MC.ie 80degrees at 20% R.H.= 4.3 % MC. I'm guessing but  this is
close.
   Dale

The  humidity in my shop today is 63% and higher than I
usually try to keep  it.  I'm getting a block ready,
the flange fitting is done; What would  be the best
level for the humidity to be and for how long to
enhance the  drilling/pin torque outcome? This block
(Weber 5' 6") has been a "bear" for  me with a double
flange, plus thicker in the bass, and bow or  warp
across the block area of the plate.

I just put the block under  a "tent" with 2 heater bars
and it has dropped the humidity to 54% over the  course
of . I don't have a MC gauge but I have a
dehumidifier.

I'll appreciate your comments.

Bob  Hull