OT-Road Service - not really OT...

Wed, 03 Nov 2004 07:44:53 -0600

At 09:15 11/2/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>I wish better roads were available for bicycles. I'd ride my bike to most
>of my appointments. If most folks did that it would put a good dent in our
>grotesque rate of fossil fuel consumption and dependency on foreign oil,
>and help big time with obesity. Too bad our transportation systems and
>social attitudes are so screwed up in this country.
>
>Terry Farrell

Going 25 miles one way to an appointment, half of it on gravel roads, would
not be a pleasant bicycle option here.
Especially at -20°F.
;-}

------------------

I posted this yesterday and got some ribbing about freezing from a southern
gentleman.  As luck would have it, we had a nice frost overnight last
night, but I forgot to bring in my tools from the truck.  (too busy voting
as often as I could, I guess...)[obligatory OT content]

This morning, the temp/humidity guage in my toolkit was reading
34°F/1°C.  I said to myself, "Self, this would be a good time to check the
accuracy of your old tuning fork."  So self did.

According to my laptop based RCT (which WAS inside last night),  the fork
was 441.4Hz. After warming up in my trouser pocket for a few minutes to
above ambient temp., it was at 439.9.

Let's hear it for electronics which are not so affected.  My memory is
fading in my old age, but how do those who are strictly aural and solely
mechanical pitch source oriented deal with temperature fluctuations?

Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT, MPT, CCT, PFP, ACS, CRS.
Decorah, IA

- Certified Calibration Technician for Bio-powered Digitally Activated
Lever Action Tone Generation Systems.
- Pianotech Flamesuit Purveyor
- American Curmudgeon Society - Apprentice Member and Founder