Moistureproofing shop

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Wed, 3 Nov 2004 22:01:30 -0800 (PST)

Bob ---
     You'd better consult with a  licensed contractor
about this ( or get a good book on insulation/vapor
barriers )  as the solution will vary with type of
construction. You don't want to trap a  lot of
moisture in the walls, for example, which could cause
mildew, warping or other damage.
    My "humidity control booth" is a 10'x12' portable
building ( aluminum type ) with the seams sealed up
with foil duct tape, and sheet stainless steel over
the original plywood floor. My dehumidifier can dry it
out in there very quickly for soundboard work, etc.. A
drain hose runs to the outside.
     Concrete floors can pass a lot of humidity from
the soil if they do not have at least a  6 mil plastic
vapor barrier beneath. You might try plastic sheeting,
but I recommend avoiding the PVC type anywhere that
you are breathing the air. Vinyl phlalates leaching
from it are bad for you ( and future progeny ).
Polyethylene would ( probably ) be better. Heavy
aluminum foil ( from restaurant supply store ) taped
to the walls with foil ducttape might be best.
Reflects light rather nicely, too!

     Thump