Moistureproofing shop - now stage box

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 07:09:50 -0600

Another important point is to make sure you get a dehumidifier that is =
the correct size (if powerful enough) for your space.

Barbara Richmond, RPT
back in the land of basements

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Farrell=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2004 5:37 AM
  Subject: Re: Moistureproofing shop - now stage box

  Hi Bob,

  It doesn't take a whole lot to get humidity under control. My shop is =
a 1,000 square-foot stand-alone concrete block building with a concrete =
floor. The only thing I did was to paint the outside with a paint that =
is advertised to have moisture-inhibiting properties (not likely to do =
much good on your metal walls) and use a Sears-type basement =
dehumidifier. My shop easily stays down below 50% RH year 'round.

  What type of insulation did you use in your walls? If you used a =
foil-backed fiberglass roll stuff, you should be just fine - the foil =
will do a pretty good job of stopping moisture migration (not to mention =
your metal walls!).

  I would check the function of your dehumidifier. I had to replace my =
original one recently because it started icing over, was running all the =
time and barely produced water. With the new one it barely runs and =
produces a bucket of water every couple days. One thing I have found is =
to make sure you get a dehumidifier with an electronic humidistat. The =
dial type seem to wander all over regulating operation of the unit. The =
electronic ones seem to keep RH pretty darn consistent. The other thing =
I do is to keep a small fan running in the area of the dehumidifier - I =
keep an air flow over the dehumidifier and pointing out into the shop. =
That way the humidistat on the unit has exposure to representative shop =
RH and it spreads the dried air out into the shop real well when the =
unit goes on.

  Terry Farrell

  ----- Original Message -----=20