Hammer bore dimension

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 16:26:33 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

>Vary the bore for each section.  Measure the first and last string
>height in each section and bore accordingly.

So, are you saying that you use a constant dimension within a section, and
vary the dimension from section to section?  Or, you vary the dimension
also within the section?

>You can line up the
>hammers with the strike point flush and strike a line marking your bore
>spot for each hammer.

That went over my head David.  Would you mind trying again in other words?

>The reason to vary the bore is so you get uniform
>regulation, i.e. aftertouch with all else being equal.

That was my reasoning as well.  I was wondering if there was something I
was overlooking.

>I don't know if
>this is a Steinway but I typically find that the plate dips on the
>treble side and the bore dimension must gradually decrease at that end.

It is and it does.

Phil Ford