Weird animal tricks

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 23:40:16 EST

I guess you never see it all in this business.

I arrived at the client's mansion this afternoon only to find the 3 year old
M and H A in  sorry shape.  The last tuner that touched it was me, and that
wasn't for a tuning, that was doing a gig at their wine-swilling Christmas party.

Tale of the tape:  20-30 cents flat, dust everywhere inside, foreign
substance that looks much like coke on many of the bass strings.

I didn't have time to do anything but pitch raise it and tune it to 440, all
the while muttering about what a waste it is to have a piano of this caliber
in such a state of neglect.

Before I left, I had the nanny fetch the lady of the house.  When she
arrived, I very politely informed her that the piano really needed to be better
maintained if they wanted it to sound, feel and look good for the long term.  I
asked her about the spillage on the strings.

She responded, "I wonder if that's from when the squirrel got into the piano."

"Inside the piano????"  I asked.

"Yes, my daughter came to me one day and told me 'mommy, mommy, there's a
squirrel playing the piano.' "

So the substance on the strings is undoubtedly squirrel urine.  Thump, should
I trash this piano?  Just teasin' ya.  Seriously, I'll be going back out on
Monday to clean the thing up and do some regulation.  I'm wondering if the
affected strings are goners.

Thanks for reading,

Dave Stahl