A-440 and Ethics.

Vinny Samarco vinsam@sympatico.ca
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 15:20:44 -0700

Hi Everyone,
I have a dilemma.  Several months ago, the local tuner in this rural area
moved away and asked me to take over his business.  I have had good
training, but not yet enough to be registered.
This man is a fabulous technician, however, his policy was to leave pianos
where they  are as far as pitch is concerned-except for the local concert
hall, and the few fine musicians and teachers in the area who would care
about such things.
As he told me when he left, "people don't want to pay for pitch raises."
        I have found this to be the case.  I don't have time to put
everyone's piano to standard pitch when they don't care if it is a440, or
a-435.  In this area of the country, the winters are very cold and the
humidity drops accordingly.  Most people don't want to put the money into
damp chasers either.    So with dry wood or propane heat, I will be putting
in new tuning pins  in a few years.
    So, what is the balance between always making sure pianos are at 440,
(as I was taught) and giving the customers what they want or don't want?
    By the way, I am blind and use my fork to set pitch, so I'm not sure I
can do pitch raises as quickly as those of you who use etds.
            Vinny