WD40 again

ilex cameron ross i1ex@earthlink.net
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 22:31:31 -0500

Okay, my week has been frustrating and weird, and today I had a run-in and
just HAD to ask about it on here, if for no other reason than to affirm that
I'm not completely mental (yet). Soooooo, how about the idea of spraying
WD40 on the backs of hammers to "condition" them and "keep them from drying
out" - ???? I at least was given fair warning before my last appointment
today, that the previous "technician" had sprayed WD40 inside the piano, so
I was likely heading into a(nother) clean-up job. Fortunately, when I
arrived, nothing seemed too damaged, which was when the client mentioned
that the tech had sprayed the hammers claiming that they would dry out
otherwise. Has ANYONE heard of this? Is this for real? Please clue me in!

Another one of my fun appointments this week was an
almost-impossible-to-open upright. Nothing out of the ordinary about this
piano, just your average console. Except that some DEAR soul had for some
unknown reason gone and removed the lid hinges and replaced them with
unbendable thick L-shaped pieces of steel held in place by thick rusting,
stripped, allen-wrench bolts. *frustration and strife*

Anyway, please enlighten me on the wonders of hammer-conditioning with WD40.
thanks,
ilex