one rubber mute

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Fri, 05 Nov 2004 20:42:34 -0800

>> >We are still waiting for an explanation of "shimming" unisons.

Shimming, or =B3cracking=B2 unisons, is something Virgil Smith has talked about
for many years.  I=B9ve also had an in-depth conversation about it with Eric
Schandall, a true wizard from the Steinway basement---he uses it every time
he tunes.

Shimming is changing the pitch extremely slightly of the right string of a
unison, and then bringing the other two strings in unison with the right.
With some practice, your temperament becomes super, super precise; more tha=
you thought possible. The possibility of executing super small pitch moves
to idealize your temperament has been a very powerful focusing device for
me; it=B9s allowed me to make what I call an ideal temperament for that piano
in between 20 and 30 minutes---and the temperament is SOCKED in solid.

>From it, you can trust without reservation that you=B9re replicating the note
relationships within the temperament over the entire compass of the
piano---with the proper stretch, of course.  In my system, following those
slowly rolling fourths down to A0 is my automatic stretch calculator in the
bass; after A5 or so, I switch from checking with fourths to checking with
double and triple octaves, and sometimes with 11ths and 18ths, which should
act like fourths---slowly rolling.

I WILL send a version of my tuning pattern and protocol; I wrote it back 3-=
4
months ago, and then Virgil had an article in the Journal, and I guess I
felt intimidated---but what the heck; I=B9ll send it soon---after some more
little editing and tweaking.

My best to all,

David Andersen