one rubber mute

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 21:37:16 -0800

Is "extremely slightly" anything like "jumbo shrimp"?   ;-]
Speaking for myself, I always tune "extremely slightly" when the=
 pitch is "extremely slightly" within tune.  I don't see how=
 tuning with one mute makes any difference in the minute changes=
 of pitch we try to make when tuning...guess we'll all have to=
 see/hear for ourselves someday.   Possibly it is simply the idea=
 of unisons as you go?   I do tune unisons as I go but I have=
 opted for 2 mutes.
David I.

From: David Andersen <bigda@gte.net>
To: Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Re: one rubber mute

>We are still waiting for an explanation of "shimming" unisons.

Shimming, or =93cracking=94 unisons, is something Virgil Smith has=
 talked about for many years.  I=92ve also had an in-depth=
 conversation about it with Eric Schandall, a true wizard from=
 the Steinway basement---he uses it every time he tunes.

Shimming is changing the pitch extremely slightly of the right=
 string of a unison, and then bringing the other two strings in=
 unison with the right. With some practice, your temperament=
 becomes super, super precise; more than you thought possible.=
 The possibility of executing super small pitch moves to idealize=
 your temperament has been a very powerful focusing device for=
 me; it=92s allowed me to make what I call an ideal temperament for=
 that piano in between 20 and 30 minutes---and the temperament is=
 SOCKED in solid.

>From it, you can trust without reservation that you=92re=
 replicating the note relationships within the temperament over=
 the entire compass of the piano---with the proper stretch, of=
 course.  In my system, following those slowly rolling fourths=
 down to A0 is my automatic stretch calculator in the bass; after=
 A5 or so, I switch from checking with fourths to checking with=
 double and triple octaves, and sometimes with 11ths and 18ths,=
 which should act like fourths---slowly rolling.

I WILL send a version of my tuning pattern and protocol; I wrote=
 it back 3-4 months ago, and then Virgil had an article in the=
 Journal, and I guess I felt intimidated---but what the heck;=
 I=92ll send it soon---after some more little editing and=
 tweaking.

My best to all,

David Andersen