question about temperament strips (was RE: one rubber mute)

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 23:10:22 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lesher, Trent J." <tlesher@sachnoff.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, November 05, 2004 4:44 PM
Subject: question about temperament strips (was RE: one rubber mute)

> I was wondering if anyone else finds it difficult to adequately damp the
> outside strings with a felt temperament strip.   <

    Temperament strips come in at least three thicknesses.  The unisons
aren't spaced the same distance apart on all pianos.  Sometimes you need a
thin strip, sometimes a thick.  Sometimes even the thick isn't thick enough
and you have to use action cloth.  Or it's not thin enough and you have to
use spring rail cloth -- whatever;  experiment.  Rubber temp. strips are
also available, but I've never tried one.  It also helps if you do a
rough-in first, then bring in the unisons at least fairly near beatless so
you don't have wildly-beating "bleed-through."  When first learning, rubber
mutes may be better since they kill the the unwanted strings better.  And
don't put the temp. strip up too close to the pressure bar (I know; it HAS
to be above a certain point) in the low tenor since those are long strings
and you want to have the strip just above where the hammers hit.
    Don't know what else to say except that some pianos just have weird
background frequencies, beats, partials, noises that come through.  You
might check the duplex scale and maybe put a piece of masking tape across it
temporarily if it's not already muted out with stringing braid (I know,
under the bass strings, this is next to impossible).
    But there shouldn't be anything peculiar to an M&H that makes it any
more difficult to tune.
    --David Nereson, RPT