Who really won OT

Carol Beigel crbrpt@bellatlantic.net
Mon, 8 Nov 2004 12:20:59 -0500

Here in Washington, we loser Liberals have been clearly
told that we are now pretty much side-lined and
stripped of any power to keep the country from going
off the right end. In some ways its nice to know the L
word can no longer be used to blame for everything that
is wrong with America!

I can accept the fact that all people vote their
morality when making political choices.  Its just that
some moral values are rooted in reality when others are
questionable.  It is hard for me to accept that the
winning votes were cast by people who were afraid that
gays might marry in groups, when some of their own
churches and missions accept polygamy or that their
candidate chose a guy  to head the Iraq government  who
has three wives. I don’t know how to tell them that
there are probably gay people in Heaven because God
created them.   Perhaps Liberals have different moral
issues that don’t come upon the intellectual radar of
these folks like a growing poverty class, hungry
children in America, and the fact that two adults
cannot shelter a family working full time at minimum
wage.   I am hoping that it will occur to all moral
people that when women are valued and child support
payments are kept current, that the option to choose
life looks more attractive.

I get to take a vaction now from “liberal” issues for I
assume that such moral people will be funding their
faith based initiatives from their offering plates with
their tax savings. At least if affordable health care
doesn’t materialze, there are super saver airfares to
other countries where surgery is cheap.  I figure I get
dibbies in line when private money starts passing out
medical advances based on 5-day old stem cells that can
fit onto the head of a pin.  After all, how moral would
it be to walk or see again if those precious,
about-to-be-trashed little stem cells are more precious
than your own life?  I know  “thou shalt not kill”
clearly made it into the top 10, but I am not going to
worry about the war in Iraq either.  Liberals usually
don’t send their children off to these kinds of wars.
And for those young  people who might distinguish
themselves in battle or be rewarded for their heroism,
I wouldn’t bother framing those medals or ribbons.
After all, should they decide to run for President,
some rich kid draft dodger will probably find a way to
make themselves look more patriotic anyway.

I am also not going to worry about how our country’s
money gets spent.  My experience with my own checkbook
vs. the household budget tells me that you can do
anything you want with numbers, but eventually reality
catches up with you.  Too bad No Child Left Behind wasn
’t thought of soon enough to teach some basic math
skills that you need to take in as much money as you
spend. No wonder the moral majority opposes Roe because
it will certainly need the next generations to pay for
their fiscal calculations.

Yes, a ballot is truly a lovesong to your country
(Hart), but if it turns out to sound like a march for a
goose step, remember that it started crooning on the
slippery slope that led to the reality of today.