Six Leg Piano Dolly

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4@earthlink.net
Mon, 8 Nov 2004 14:45:05 -0600

Subject: Re: Six Leg Piano Dolly

Related,

Take a spider dolly to the welder and have him fit a plate large enough to
hold both legs and bolt that to the spider dolly.

David I.

>Hi,

>Get a welding shop to make one to fit. Cheaper than the wholesale cost of a
>standard Grand Truck.

>At 09:16 AM 08/11/2004 -0800, you wrote:
>>I have a client at a church who was given a six legged grand. Will see it
>>for the first time tomorrow. They would like to have the piano put onto a
>>dolly (is it called a "spider dolly"?). I've got an idea on the
modification
>>that needs to be made so the piano will fit on the three leg dolly but
would
>>like some input from anyone having done this procedure before.
>>
>>Please help!!!
>>

>>Wayne Lutzow, Associate
>>Lincoln, CA

Wayne
I did this about a year ago. Remove the leg socket from the spider dolly.
Measure the exact distance from one caster stem hole to the other for each
pair of legs.  Have a welding shop make a "stretcher" that is drilled to fit
the now vacant hole in the spider dolly, and drill a hole near each end of
the stretcher at the dimension between the legs-from one caster stem to the
other.  Then, ask them to weld a 2" carriage bolt inserted from the bottom
of the stretcher.  Set the piano's legs over these bolts.  This will keep
the piano legs from sliding off the dolly.

Paul C