Hard to tune upright

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 9 Nov 2004 14:13:02 -0500

What is a counter bearing bar?

Terry Farrell

  John,
  I would NEVER put ProTech or anything else, that stays around =
indefinately, on the pressure points of the strings! The only thing I've =
ever used is LPS-1. It will not stay around and "contaminate", like all =
others I've tested. It dispels water and lubricates...that's all. It =
disipates w/in a few days and doesn't "creep" into places we don't want =
it.
  As for this specific piano, (i.e. PSO), the problem probably lies in =
the Counter Bearing Bars. This model has been notorious for this =
problem. Years ago, Del, as a matter of course, used to take the Counter =
Bearing Bars off of NEW S&S uprights and grind them down, so that the =
Bar would do what it was supposed to do....Counter Bear.<G> I've run =
into many of these beasts and don't like them atall! It is difficult to =
convince the Client, that their revered/lovely S&S has a major problem =
w/production Quality Control and needs to be "Modified"! Horrors! Yikes! =
Gadzooks! etc.<G>
  Best Regards,
  Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
  Captain, Tool Police