voicing/juicing ronsen hammers

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Tue, 9 Nov 2004 15:05:55 EST

Terry
 I always prefile my own hammers ending with 320 or 400  paper. A light
ironing will also compact the top without any  solutions.
 That being said I usually add approx. a 10 to 1 part  lacquer solution to
all mono chords.  I put it right over the top. I don't  think it necessary to
soak the whole hammer but I'm looking to primarily  stiffen the top of the
hammers. If you want a bit more bite on impact it is  prudent to add 3 4 drops of
thin juice as break in fluid. It just stiffens the  very surface of the hammer
& speeds up play in. if you don't like it then or  later. Wash it in with
acetone & no harm done.
  Renumber Tis Wurzen felt is very dense compared to the  Abel or Bacon felts
so easy does it with the solutions. DAMHIK.  Experiment on one at a time till
you like what's happening, add in the patience  factor & your their.
    Dale Erwin

    Terry
    Stop.!!!!!!!!!!! Do  not use 3- to 1 lacquer on these hammers any where.
I'll post later gotta  run.
   Dale

For  those who have used them, or know about them,  has anyone find it
necessary to lacquer Ronsen's Wurzen felt hammers? After hanging a set  on my
G1 yamaha, the tone is quite nice and uniform, but lacking in  power. I'm
told these hammers can be "voiced up" to some extent by deep  needling at
about 11 &1 o'clock. Will this not "mellow" the tone?  They are plenty mellow
to start with. I thought that adding 3:1 ratio of  lacquer to acetone and
soaking the lower shoulders until it wicks to the  moulding near the tip was
the way to add fff potential.
If so, what  is the best way to do this consistently from one hammer to the
next,  avoiding the crown? There is an article on lacquering in this month's
PTJ, but I'd like as much feedback as I can get before I attempt this.
thanks!

Terry Peterson

Erwins Pianos  Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.
Modesto, Ca 95357
209-577-8397
Rebuilt  Steinway , Mason &Hamlin  Sales
www.Erwinspiano.com