Results (positive) from muting suggestions & Question about Minor 6th v. Major Third

Lesher, Trent J. tlesher@sachnoff.com
Tue, 9 Nov 2004 14:10:01 -0600

Hello everyone.
=20
After getting help from several of you on this list, I went back to it =
on that M&H 50" upright that I was having trouble with, and it is going =
much better now.  I'm not having any more of the problem I was having =
hearing the beating between the strings in question clearly, and without =
confusion from influence of the outside strings.
=20
I just needed a thicker temperament strip.  It's almost embarrassing =
that I didn't figure that out in the first place, but I guess I can give =
myself a break because all three types I had that were actually made for =
the purpose (including the one that came with the Randy Potter course) =
weren't thick or dense enough for the M&H 50" upright.  The only thing =
that worked well was a strip of dense red felt that wasn't as wide, but =
is more than 1/8" thick.  Looking at catalogues and what's in these =
pianos, seems like maybe it's spring-rail felt.  I also tried using two =
regular temperament strips in parallel, and that worked almost as well =
too.
=20
Later, I'm going to try some of the other ideas (backrail cloth, action =
cloth) and at least look at a 'split mute with a steel strap handle.'  I =
finally found out what is meant by action cloth, but I have to try to =
get Schaff to send me a catalog to see the trap-handled mute.
=20
But anyway working with the thicker action felt I had on hand already, =
instead of any of the normal temperament strip-mutes, it worked so much =
better that I moved right through setting the temperament.  I was =
setting Kirnberger II, because I wanted to try it and it's comparately =
so extremely simple to do by ear compared to ET.  Since I only have the =
first 1/5 of the Randy Potter course, I didn't think I wanted to start =
trying to do ET by ear yet.  Anyway, using the thicker material, I was =
able to work much more quickly and with less uncertainty. =20
=20
Things were going so much better that with 9 separate steps in which to =
potentially accumulate errors, the F#-C# fifth -- two notes which are on =
the opposite ends of the chain of intervals (the nine steps between =
those two notes) -- which is supposed to come out like an ET 5th (the =
only one), was in the ballpark!  Actually, at first it was obviously =
pretty far off, but I only had to go back and adjust one interval (and =
re-do two notes that depended on it).  For me, that was gratifying.
=20
New Topic:
=20
Does it seem normal that sometimes Minor Sixths seemed clearer to tune =
than the inverse interval, a Major Third?  Since Minor Sixth partials =
align at 8th of the lower note to 5th of the upper note, off-hand they =
seem like they would be weaker and less clear than matching 5th to 4th =
partials of  Major Third.  But to me sometimes the Minor Sixth seemed =
clearer and easier to listen to the beats of than the Major Third. =20
=20
I thought maybe it was because the 5th partial involved in either =
interval is relatively weak compared to octave-type partials like 4s and =
8s, so it's intensity is better matched to an 8th partial than a =
relatively stronger 4th partial, and somehow that more comparable =
intensities made the harmony or lack thereof clearer to hear.
=20
If anyone has any comments about this, I'd be very interested to hear.
=20
Best regards,
=20
Trent
=20
=20

****** IMPORTANT NOTICE ******
This e-mail, and any attachments hereto, is intended only for use by the
confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient of this
e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or
copying of this e-mail, and any attachments hereto, is strictly =
prohibited.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify me
at (312) 207-1000 and permanently delete the original and any copy of =
any
e-mail and any printout thereof.