voicing/juicing ronsen hammers

Don Mannino donmannino@comcast.net
Tue, 09 Nov 2004 22:39:08 -0800

Terry,

I put some samples of the Ronsen hammers with Wurzen felt on a Kawai piano
for use in a voicing seminar in North Carolina a couple of weeks back.  I
think those who heard them in the class would agree that they sounded very
nice.

The initial tone was a little too soft, so I first shaped them a little to
get a more uniform shape (they were a little lopsided) and fit the strike
point to the strings.  They still needed a little more, so I filed them
with 1,000 grit sandpaper a little up and over the strike point.  This
helped a little more.  Finally I deep needled them at the widest point - 9
and 3 O'clock, with the needles pointing up towards the tip of the molding,
but not passing over the molding.  This increased the power quite a bit,
and the class agreed that they didn't need any more.

Don Mannino RPT