A-440 and Ethics.

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 13:22:26 -0500

I’ve done hundreds in the last 25 years, never cracked a plate, often
bringing it 40-50% overpull. I used to bring it up to 100% overpull before
RCT. I never bring up center strings first, then left strings, then right
strings. I always start at one end and tune all strings as I go up.

I’ve often heard about the “danger” of crack plates by unbalanced tension. I
dunno, maybe it can happen. But I’ve never encountered it in pitch raises or
in chip tunings on restringing jobs.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of David Ilvedson
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2004 12:08 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: A-440 and Ethics.

Julia,
Why don't we ask the List if anyone has had a plate crack during a pitch
raise.   I've been working on pianos for 30 years and it has never happened
to me.
David I.

From: < Alpha88x@aol.com <mailto:Alpha88x@aol.com> >
To: < pianotech@ptg.org <mailto:pianotech@ptg.org> >

Greetings,

            Usually, when I get a tuning call, it is a piano which hasn't
been kept up the tunings on. I always ask how long since it was last tuned.
They usually don't know.. especially if they have taken in an "orphan"
piano.

             I do not like to raise the A4 pitch on any piano more than say
1/4 a tone or so, if it's been neglectd tunings. This is because I don't
want to run the risk of cracking anyone's harp plate, let alone breaking
strings. Especially on the little spinets, whose plates are 5/8" or less
thick.

              When I get to the house, I check the A-440 and it's octaves
and get an idea of the overall tone of the piano; whrere it went flat the
most. I always explain the concept of A-440 to the customer, and more times
than not, it doesnt matter to them if its up to A-440 or not.

           They just would like it in tune with itself. I also explain that
pianos are designed to be tuned to A-440 for best results. (unless it is an
extremely old, dry upright that's seen better days and wont let you even
gradually take it up that far, even with subsequent tunings/loose pins or
bridges coming off) I tune it the best I can get it, to sound at the A-4??
and suggest subsequent tunings so we can gradually get it there. They agree
to a reminder card from me for follow ups ....say, 4 to 6 mo for the first
follow-up. I also inform them that with each tuning the piano becomes more
stable and to never let a piano go more than 2 years max.

          On hearing these pianos, they are so, so neglected and out of
tune, the piano always sounds better upon my departure, and thats all alot
of folks want in order to start the kid's lessons, without paying "an arm
and a leg".  With customers who are more vigilant of how their piano sounds
is another matter.

          My tuning teacher used to say "As long as it sounds a lot better
when you leave than from when you arrived".

Julia,
Reading, PA