Bridge agraffes & Stuart pianos, was Re: Further details about the Schumann piano with bridge agraffes

Calin Tantareanu dnu@fx.ro
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 20:40:00 +0200

This is a MIME-formatted message.  If you see this text it means that your
E-mail software does not support MIME-formatted messages.

Ron N. wrote:

> That's right. No crown, no bearing. At least no intentional bearing.
> Readings I took this summer appeared to be random slightly +-, but
> essentially zero bearing.

But the soundboard is still made from solid spruce planks, not laminated
ones, right?

> It's not the agraffes. The soundboard assembly isn't stiff enough. The
> entire scale is one big killer octave.
>
> Ron N

If I understood well what a killer octave is, then it should mean that the
Stuart has little sustain too.
I have never seen one, but judging from the recordings I've heard sustain
seems to be one of its strong points, at least in the treble.

Something occured to me which might explain some distortion which is audible
when playing forte:
Given the fact that the string is bearing on the edge on the agraffe (see
the attached picture), , being pressed down by the pin in the midle it is
possible that the string is lifted from its front bearing surface (on the
agraffe) by a forceful hammer blow.
Ron who had a chance to play this piano could tell us if my theory seems
plausible or not.

 Calin Tantareanu
 http://calintantareanu.tripod.com

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...