A-440 and Ethics.

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 17:08:58 -0500

"all at once"

As in one pass?

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Mike McCoy=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2004 12:36 PM
  Subject: Re: A-440 and Ethics.

  I have yet to walk away from a piano leaving it flat, and the majority =
of my customer base is 1920-30's uprights and I do it all at once with =
RCT. Rarely do strings break and once I had 3, but that was the most. I =
don't do this because of any philosophy of mine, but because it has been =
what I learned from the Potter course, convention classes and other =
techs I respect. It was explained to me that early on that ear training =
is very important for piano students. If the piano is intended for =
lessons and it can not handle a pitch raise then it's time for a =
different piano, but I have not had to condemn one yet. It is also my =
understanding that if the plate breaks because of a pitch =
raise/correction then there was  most likely a defect in the plate, is =
that not true??

  Is a new student's progress hampered by a flat piano?

  Mike

  Mike McCoy=20
  Langhorne, Pa

  Alpha88x@aol.com wrote:

    Greetings,=20

                Usually, when I get a tuning call, it is a piano which =
hasn't been kept up the tunings on. I always ask how long since it was =
last tuned. They usually don't know. especially if they have taken in an =
"orphan" piano.

                 I do not like to raise the A4 pitch on any piano more =
than say 1/4 a tone or so, if it's been neglectd tunings. This is =
because I don't want to run the risk of cracking anyone's harp plate, =
let alone breaking strings. Especially on the little spinets, whose =
plates are 5/8" or less thick.

                  When I get to the house, I check the A-440 and it's =
octaves and get an idea of the overall tone of the piano; whrere it went =
flat the most. I always explain the concept of A-440 to the customer, =
and more times than not, it doesnt matter to them if its up to A-440 or =
not.=20

               They just would like it in tune with itself. I also =
explain that pianos are designed to be tuned to A-440 for best results. =
(unless it is an extremely old, dry upright that's seen better days and =
wont let you even gradually take it up that far, even with subsequent =
tunings/loose pins or bridges coming off) I tune it the best I can get =
it, to sound at the A-4?? and suggest subsequent tunings so we can =
gradually get it there. They agree to a reminder card from me for follow =
ups ....say, 4 to 6 mo for the first follow-up. I also inform them that =
with each tuning the piano becomes more stable and to never let a piano =
go more than 2 years max.

              On hearing these pianos, they are so, so neglected and out =
of tune, the piano always sounds better upon my departure, and thats all =
alot of folks want in order to start the kid's lessons, without paying =
"an arm and a leg".  With customers who are more vigilant of how their =
piano sounds is another matter.

              My tuning teacher used to say "As long as it sounds a lot =
better when you leave than from when you arrived".=20

    Julia,=20
    Reading, PA