A-440 and Ethics.

James Grebe pianoman@accessus.net
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 17:32:43 -0600

In the middle 1960 I was working at Aeolian Co. of MO. and was raising =
pitch on an Estey console and when I got to just beyond the treble break =
the plate broke.  That is my only breaker in 42+ years.
James Grebe
Piano-Forte Tuning & Repair
Creator of Handsome Hardwood Caster Cups
(314) 608-4137
WWW.JamesGrebe.com
1526 Raspberry Lane
Arnold, MO 63010
BECOME WHAT YOU BELIEVE!
pianoman@accessus.net
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David Ilvedson=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2004 11:08 AM
  Subject: Re: A-440 and Ethics.

  Julia,

  Why don't we ask the List if anyone has had a plate crack during a =
pitch raise.   I've been working on pianos for 30 years and it has never =
happened to me.  =20

  David I.

  From: <Alpha88x@aol.com>
  To: <pianotech@ptg.org>

  Greetings,=20

              Usually, when I get a tuning call, it is a piano which =
hasn't been kept up the tunings on. I always ask how long since it was =
last tuned. They usually don't know.. especially if they have taken in =
an "orphan" piano.

               I do not like to raise the A4 pitch on any piano more =
than say 1/4 a tone or so, if it's been neglectd tunings. This is =
because I don't want to run the risk of cracking anyone's harp plate, =
let alone breaking strings. Especially on the little spinets, whose =
plates are 5/8" or less thick.

                When I get to the house, I check the A-440 and it's =
octaves and get an idea of the overall tone of the piano; whrere it went =
flat the most. I always explain the concept of A-440 to the customer, =
and more times than not, it doesnt matter to them if its up to A-440 or =
not.=20

             They just would like it in tune with itself. I also explain =
that pianos are designed to be tuned to A-440 for best results. (unless =
it is an extremely old, dry upright that's seen better days and wont let =
you even gradually take it up that far, even with subsequent =
tunings/loose pins or bridges coming off) I tune it the best I can get =
it, to sound at the A-4?? and suggest subsequent tunings so we can =
gradually get it there. They agree to a reminder card from me for follow =
ups ....say, 4 to 6 mo for the first follow-up. I also inform them that =
with each tuning the piano becomes more stable and to never let a piano =
go more than 2 years max.

            On hearing these pianos, they are so, so neglected and out =
of tune, the piano always sounds better upon my departure, and thats all =
alot of folks want in order to start the kid's lessons, without paying =
"an arm and a leg".  With customers who are more vigilant of how their =
piano sounds is another matter.

            My tuning teacher used to say "As long as it sounds a lot =
better when you leave than from when you arrived".=20

  Julia,=20
  Reading, PA=20