About after touch

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 16:54:52 -0800

Made by who?  You?  I'dl like a sample...
David Ilvedson

From: antares <antares@euronet.nl>
To: Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Re: About after touch

On 11-nov-04, at 3:19, William R. Monroe wrote:

One other issue that I'm still not convinced is not part of it,=
 is the jack to knuckle placement.  There is still plenty of room=
 in the window to allow for more aftertouch, and thus more=
 clearance of the jack from the knuckle, but I already have about=
 .055" of aftertouch (measured by placing .055" of punchings on=
 top of front rail felts and seeing that escapement just barely=
 occurs when the key is depressed).  I hesitate to think that=
 more aftertouch would be appropriate.

One of the very great developments of our business here in=
 Holland is the new front punching called "Grand Piano=
 Punching".
I have worked for years on this and we now offer this punching=
 world wide.
And why then is it so very nice one could ask?
Because it has a fantastic homogenous density, but at the same=
 time it is not too hard.
It makes for a very sharp after touch, and thus for the sharpest=
 regulation possible.
As I said, it took me years to get this together, and it is even=
 better than the Yamaha or Steinway punching because of its=
 density and firmness.

I wrote about this before : after touch should be =B1 0,4 mm,=
 meaning that after drop, and after the landing of the hammer, we=
 should be able to move the hammer up 0,4 mm by softly pressing=
 the key. If you see no movement at all, you have no after touch.=
 If you see a lot of movement, your front punching is too soft or=
 you have too much after touch.... which is it?
That's why you need to make sure that before you start a=
 regulation, your front punching is of the right firmness.

I will explain once more :
A key is like a sea saw.
Usually, we find an old car tire under both sides of the sea saw=
 to soften the impact. Nevertheless, a little child sitting on=
 the high end of the sea saw will bump upwards slightly because=
 of the impact at the lower end.
Now, if we take away the tires, the impact will be much harder=
 and it will hurt the behind of the child coming down, but it=
 will also cause the other child to almost get airborne, because=
 the force of the impact is much stronger.
That is the an analogy in regard to a more firm front punching :=
 It causes a more intense transfer of energy and thereby creates=
 a louder tone.
Your regulation can be more precise, thereby giving you the=
 maximum tonal output.

I often ask a critical technician or pianist to listen to a=
 particular tone and to feel its touch. I then exchange the front=
 punching with our own front punching, and I ask the same person=
listen and feel again. They always are flabbergasted by the=
 result.

friendly greetings
from
Andr=E9 Oorebeek