A-440 and Ethics.

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 19:39:16 -0600

>Ron,
>
>Thanks for saying this. You did it much better than I could have!
>
>Avery

Avery,
This has been a mystery and an aggravation to me from day one. I can't tell
you how many times I've showed up to tune a piano that was tuned six months
ago and found it a semitone low, with the explanation that the last tuner
was planning on raising it a bit each time it was tuned until it was
(eventually?) up to pitch so the strings wouldn't break. The piano
typically has the last tuner's name in it at least a couple of times, but
it is still a yard flat. Sometimes it's still flat enough to need a pitch
raise after YEARS of these tunings. Sheep dip and snake knuckles! Where did
this idea originally come from? It seems to be automatically taken on faith
everywhere, for some strange reason, but it just ain't so. This can be
demonstrated by doing a pitch raise or two and putting the thing on pitch
the first visit. Take notes, compare string breakage incidence per piano
(rather than per tuning, obviously), and see if sneaking up on it at much
greater expense to the customer breaks fewer strings in the long run. By my
notes, it doesn't. I always assumed the marketing leverage to worry people
into springing for more and more frequent tunings, was what the approach
was originally for, though the tuner may innocently be under the impression
that it actually does save the strings and just happens to not mind the
extra work it gets him. Meanwhile, I'm now at least an explanation, a PR
massage, and a pitch raise behind schedule (if no strings break), because
the last guy played the sneak up on it game. And if a string does break
during the process, it will be, in the customer's mind, because I rashly
didn't follow the demonstrably wise and saintly conservative philosophy of
the previous tuner who, though he obviously must have known what he was
talking about, somehow WASN'T CALLED TO DO THIS TUNING. Why not? That's a
tough one to get an answer to. What story does the sneaker upper tuner tell
the customer when strings start breaking a quarter semitone shy of 440 and
nine tunings into the process? I don't get it.

Ron N