A-440 and Ethics.

Avery Todd avery@ev1.net
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 19:37:54 -0600

Mike,

>It is also my understanding that if the plate breaks because of a pitch
>raise/correction then there was  most likely a defect in the plate, is
>that not true??

Usually, yes.

>Is a new student's progress hampered by a flat piano?

IMO, yes. They're not only learning to push down a key, they're also
learning to
hear. Hopefully! I once did a pitch raise of about a minor third and when I
"finally"
got through and the high school girl played it, she said, "It sounds so
different, now
I'm going to have to learn all my pieces over again!"

>Mike
>
>Mike McCoy
>Langhorne, Pa
>
>>            They just would like it in tune with itself. I also explain
>> that pianos are designed to be tuned to A-440 for best results. (unless
>> it is an extremely old, dry upright that's seen better days and wont let
>> you even gradually take it up that far, even with subsequent
>> tunings/loose pins or bridges coming off) I tune it the best I can get
>> it, to sound at the A-4?? and suggest subsequent tunings so we can
>> gradually get it there.

Julia, if it's going to "get there" it can do it all at the same time.
Granted, one might
have to be careful about overpull, with appropriate warnings about possible
broken strings,  but if it's going to get to A-440, it can do it all at
once (2-3 times over, of course.:-)

>>           On hearing these pianos, they are so, so neglected and out of
>> tune, the piano always sounds better upon my departure, and thats all a
>> lot of folks want in order to start the kid's lessons, without paying
>> "an arm and a leg".

I just can't agree with this. I understand that some people might not be
able to afford a pitch raise, but I believe it's extremely important for a
piano to be at correct pitch. Most (I know, not all!) teachers pianos are
and it can cause confusion with a young child when the teacher's piano
doesn't sound like the one at home!

>>With customers who are more vigilant of how their piano sounds is another
>>matter.

That's the kind of customer I like! :-) The others, I tend to want to "give
away" to someone else!

>>           My tuning teacher used to say "As long as it sounds a lot
>> better when you leave than from when you arrived".

Yes. But only to a point!

>>Julia,
>>Reading, PA

Avery