1883 Bechstein upright scale

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 00:52:13 -0800

Michael Spalding asked: "I would appreciate any insights you might have =
regarding what pitch it would have been designed for.  I've found brief =
mention of standards adopted in 1885 in Vienna (435) and London (455), =
however C. Bechstein was in Berlin.  I would like to evaluate and =
improve on the scale - obviously got to know what pitch to tune it to =
when I'm done.  The existing strings and pins appear uniformly old, but =
I wouldn't want to assume they're original. =20

thanks for any info on pitch / tension

Mike,
I'm probably repeating myself, but this is the reason to do a full scale =
evaluation! First, you enter all of the scale data in a program that =
will allow you to set the pitch standard at whatever you want it at. For =
that piano, I would use 435cps. Once you have entered all of the data, =
then you reset the program to 440cps. (Of course you printed a copy of =
the original scale @ 435cps. Taking note of the tensions, rescale the =
instrument to A=3D440cps. Along the way, improving on the scale and =
taking into account the manufacturability of current string winders. =
Once you do this then you have the NEW scale, that will not over-stress =
the intended overall tensions and a sweet instrument that can be tuned =
to A=3D440cps. Simple, huh?[G]
If you are not so inclined to do that, send me the data and I can do it =
for you.
Best Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police