A-440, ethics AND the bod

Robin Blankenship tunerdude@comcast.net
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 09:13:34 -0500

Glad this topic came up. I run into this situation fairly often. There =
is one tooner in the area who seems to have very seldom addressed the =
issue of pitch with his clients. So, I have to deal with pianos that are =
pretty consistently about a half-step low.=20

Standard procedure of mine:

1) Explain to customer the situation and the alternatives for dealing =
with it. Emphasize the value of A-440, including the use of the piano =
with other instruments.=20

2) Apply Pro-Tek to upper bearing points, CAREFULLY!!

3) Even out the tension over the entire piano, if it is grossly more =
flat in some area(s) (usually the treble).

4) Raise pitch quickly, aiming either for A-440 or to obtain a max of =
about 50 cents rise. Don't over-pull more than 10 or 15 cents if =
possible.=20

5) If pitch raising pass ended up, say, 15 or 20 cents low, make another =
pitch raising pass to get it to A-440.

6) Generally, I don't like to raise pitch more than about 50 cents per =
visit as this seems to results in greater instability later.

7) Do a nice tuning AT A-440, really working to set the pins and render =
the strings well to achieve maximum stability.

By working "fast and dirty" for the early stages of this, I can stay =
within my usual time budget and not have to charge any more for the =
pitch-raise part.=20

By working hard and doing the "heavy lifting" of stabilising the piano =
early in my tenure with it, I make for an easy time for myself later. =
Frankly, it's kind of nice to hear repeatedly, "Oh, the other tuner =
never did all that!", or, "Wow, you sure are thorough!", or "You know, =
my church has six million pianos. When can you get to those?". Like =
that.=20

For myself, the biggest "pay off" is when I hear that Little Suzie or =
Mighty Mike is spending more time practising for their piano lessons and =
is enjoying it more. Never forget, even in the middle muddle of trudging =
through a seemingly helpless and hopeless little POS spinet, just how =
music affects human lives. Never.=20

I give due warnings about possible string breakage. It happens to me =
maybe once ever 150 or 200 tunings. I've also had to deal with a couple =
of cracked plates in 15 years. But, I also factor in to the decision =
making process the likely future stability of the instrument. A fair =
percentage of the time, the customer elects to just leave the piano =
flat. It just is not all that tremendously important to them. Sad, but =
true.=20

ProTek on the bearing points really does seem to make a huge difference =
in reducing string breakage and in ease of tuning.=20

Take care, everyone,
Robin Blankenship
Southside Piano Service
Matoaca, Virginia