Rescaling for older soundboards

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 10:49:12 -0600

>Since an aging soundboard will presumably be less stiff with less
>available crown, does it make sense, when restringing over an old board,
>to consider rescaling the piano with a lower tension scale.
>
>David Love

I don't think so. I'd much rather see both the soundboard and the scale
brought up to higher performance standards than to see the rest of the
system compromised to try to accommodate a crippled soundboard. In my shop,
if the old soundboard stays, I'll re-scale (mostly the bass) to smooth and
balance, and I'll set downbearing to try to accommodate the old board, but
the section tensions will be mostly unchanged. .

Ron N