take a vacation to Hawaii.

antares antares@euronet.nl
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:14:30 +0100

On 12-nov-04, at 8:26, Dave Nereson wrote:

>   Isn't 1000 grit about as abrasive as, say, newsprint?  I'll admit=20
> that
> most of the hammers I've filed are on old pianos whose hammers have=20
> never
> been filed since they were built, and the string cuts are an eighth of=20=

> an
> inch deep or more.  Sometimes I'll re-file a job someone else botched.=20=

> seldom have a chance to do voicing on really nice grands.  But even=20
> there,
> I've never used finer than 120 grit.  Using finer seems like going=20
> past the
> point of diminishing returns.  Does going up past 320 or so really=20
> make that
> much difference?

It makes a difference when you work with new hammers.
Look at hammers maybe in a new way :
A unison should be straight and level, the hammer striking surface=20
should be level with the unison.
Now look very closely at the surface of newly filed hammers... Are they=20=

really smooth?
Look at the hammer surfaces as if you used a magnifying glass...
Do you see hills? do you see rocks? do you see irregularities?

If you really want to take care of those hammer surfaces, you need to=20
polish them down to a polder landscape.
Ever been to Holland?
You get bored with the landscape within 5 minutes. You know why? it is=20=

a polder landscape : there are no hills, no mountains, it is just flat=20=

as a well sanded hammer.
For a hammer it makes all the difference.. for human beings, I would=20
say : take a vacation to Hawaii.

friendly greetings
from
Andr=E9 Oorebeek