fine grit hammer filing

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 22:57:54 -0800

I missed Don's report...I start with 60 or 80 garnet paper and=
 usually stop at 220.

David I.

From: Farrell <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Re: fine grit hammer filing

Don, I'd hate to think I know even one little thing that you=
 don't know, but........

"For badly worn hammers or removing a lot of felt on new hammers=
 I start with 180 or 220 grit strips..."

I guess you just haven't seen (or have forgotten) BADLY WORN=
 hammers. Some are so bad (we are talking old upright played in a=
 Primitive Baptist Church for 50 years - think about it!) that I=
 start with a router!

But then, one could argue I'm not really talking about=
 pianos......   :-(

There are some ugly things in this world.

Terry Farrell