"should I stay or should I go?"- David Anderson

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Sat, 13 Nov 2004 17:49:24 -0800

This is an interesting discussion.  I'm almost getting the impression
some people enjoy tuning in a noisy environment.  I don't.  If I can get
the natives to be quiet I certainly will.  If I can't, well then I make
the next decision to do the best I can or leave.  I certainly would find
it irritating to struggle through a tuning in a noisy environment that I
could have quieted down with a few diplomatic words and then have them
call me back because the tuning wasn't as spot on as usual.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of David Skolnik
Sent: Saturday, November 13, 2004 5:25 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: "should I stay or should I go?"- David Anderson

David A -
First, too many Davids on this thread.
Second, I sent my last post on this subject just before seeing yours.

I don't think anyone is disagreeing on the necessity of a practical
approach to the conditions we work in, nor the need to deal with people
in a mature, respectful manner.  Nor do I dispute the mind's ability to
adapt and focus in adverse conditions.  I said "is stressful", you say
"can be stressful".  My point (I think) is, what environment would you
choose to work, in?  If you actually do your best work with background
noise (a radio playing, perhaps), there is no point in discussing how to
go about creating a quite environment. On the other hand, if a
particular piano is, in and of itself, difficult, why should I be
expected to play mind games with myself in order to avoid the, possibly
unsuccessful personal interaction, required to establish the space I
need / want to work?

Lastly, I don't think I've said anything to reflect less than an open
mind, or,  Who are you calling defensive! ?

David Skolnik

At 04:53 PM 11/13/2004 -0800, you wrote:

> Trying to tune aurally through noise is
> stressful.
Actually, CAN be stressful.  Or can be a cool challenge, a focusing
device.
> Do you mean to say that expecting a quiet environment to tune
> makes one a Prima Dona?
If you've made every effort not to intimidate, "bad-vibe," or show anger
the people who are making noise, and instead approach them with respect
and
explain why you want what you want.  If that doesn't work, you just keep
moving, and tune through. Oddly some of my best, strongest aural tunings
have been at the NAMM show, or on stage with a LOT o' noise.
It's all in your head, mate.

  >If that is your drift, I would take issue with
> such a contention.

Okay, but listen to the responses with an open mind.