wood response to moisture

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Sun, 14 Nov 2004 04:06:39 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marcel Carey" <mcpiano@videotron.ca>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2004 8:06 AM
Subject: RE: wood response to moisture

> Dave,
 > My findings are quite the opposite. I find that key bushings do get
> tighter with dry weather.

    Yes, I have encountered many pianos moved here to dry Colorado from more
humid climates and the keys all need easing.  The entire key, holes,
mortises, and all, must shrink, making the balance and front rail pins
tight.

 For the soundboard to react slower the
> explanation is quite simple. The soundboard is "sealed" being finished
> on both sides as where the keys are not.
> Marcel Carey, RPT
> Sherbrooke, QC

    Yes, I can understand that, but what I've heard conflicting information
about is whether the soundboard, or just wood in general, gains or loses
moisture faster, if the rate of humidity change in the room is the same.
    --David Nereson, RPT