fine grit hammer filing

Quentin Codevelle quentin.codevelle@tiscali.fr
Sun, 14 Nov 2004 15:41:09 +0100

Hi Terry,

I tried the router-shaper thing a few times on extremely grooved =
hammers.
I don't like this solution very much because I had the impression the =
machine is heating the felt very much, resulting an awful tone,real =
harsh with a lot of voicing work to do after the shaping machine =
operation.

Of course it is fast, but the other problem is you have to get the habit =
of using it, because I saw some hammers shaped with this shaper by =
someone who never did this kind of work before, and it was a total =
disaster.
The hammer set was totally ruined, with not enough felt left, and an =
awful hammer shape.

What is your experience with it?=20

Quentin