fine grit hammer filing

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Sun, 14 Nov 2004 15:50:14 -0600

------=_NextPart_001_0004_01C4CA61.A18F2D50
I've managed to burn out my moto tools.  But years ago, employed at a =
staff tech at a university, I invested in the Foredom tool from Pianotek =
because I had 90 instruments with 3/4" strike surfaces---oh, maybe I'm =
exaggerating a little.  I've used the McCall belt sander attachment, the =
Dremel hammer sanding attachment, but actually, for some jobs, like the =
one pictured, I used the drum sander.  (I had to take wood off, too.)  =
These are hammers (72 & 73) from the Steinway D at the Big, Dead Hall.  =
They were too heavy on two counts, touch and sound.  Didn't take any off =
the top.  Sorry the picture isn't dead on, but you get the idea of what =
I removed.

Barbara Richmond, RPT

    Keep in mind that the only time I do this is when trying to salvage =
an old ready-for-the-grave trashy upright. Do I voice afterwards? No. =
Does the piano sound good when I am done? No. Does it sound better than =
it was? Yes. Can I do a crude regulation now? Yes. I only remove felt =
down to the bottom of the grooves, but yes, this often leave the hammers =
will very little felt - but again, trashy pianos only here.=20

    After a few attempts, I have worked out a one-swoosh technique for =
using the Dremel hammer file tool. I start at 8 o'clock and swoosh right =
around the whole hammer to a good 4 o'clock (basically from staple to =
staple). Once you get the hang of it you get a real nice smooth hammer =
surface, good shape, and you go so fast that there is no burning or =
anything even close to that.

    Terry Farrell
      ----- Original Message -----=20