What happens to wowod when it ages.

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 02:10:09 -0800 (PST)

I think that what happens is that the volatiles
evaporate from the resins, so that the resins get
denser and harder as they cling to the cell walls.
Therefore the wood gets 1) Harder to cut. 2) Lighter.
3) Stiffer.
     Of course, here in the soggy South all that is
reversed, as the wood takes on moisture and microbial
munching rots it slowly, even in someone's parlor.
     Thump