making key bushing cauls

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4@earthlink.net
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 10:26:40 -0600

Subject: Re: making key bushing cauls

I'd like to see a side-by-side trial of the "Bushmaster" method and the
Spurlock system. I use the Spurlock system and love it, but I have never
tried the other. Anyone used both? Opinions? I recall can't imagine anything
slicker than the Spurlock system.

Terry Farrell

I've used both and have come up with a hybrid system: I use the Spurlock
system with hot hide glue, but with brass cauls.  The thickest brass caul is
used to hold the first bushing in place, the required size is used for the
other side.  Then I place a clothes iron (set on cotton) on top of the final
cauls.  This reactivates the hide glue, sizes the bushing hole in the key
and sets the cloth bushing to the caul.  Let stand over night. The key hole
sizing step is eliminated, as well as any easing.  Steaming the old bushings
out will also size the balance rail.

Paul C