wear and tear on da nerves

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:16:09 -0800

But Terry will claim his referals are because he's the=
 cheapest...YIKES   Not how I want to be thought of...

David I.

From: David Love <davidlovepianos@comcast.net>
To: 'Pianotech' <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: RE: wear and tear on da nerves

I was joking about charging extra for the noise.  I guess I=
 forgot my smiley face.  I have a flat fee for tuning, additional=
 incremental flat fees for pitch raising (the additional fee will=
 depend on how much pitch raising needs to be done), an hourly=
 for all other work.  My minimum show up fee, inspection fee,=
 assessment or  appraisal fee is the same as my tuning flat fee. =
 Basically, the first hour costs more.  I do, after all, have to=
 get there.  My hourly fee is about 75% of my basic tuning fee.  =
  In all honesty, I don=92t get near the $300. price I read=
 recently for a tuning plus pitch raise.  A normal pitch raise=
 just doesn=92t take me that much longer, maybe 15 - 30 minutes, so=
 I add depending on how severe the pitch raise is.  I just don=92t=
 find that a normal tuning varies that much in time to worry=
 about the hourly aspect of my tuning fee.  Variations are=
 usually on the short side, not on the long side, so it wouldn=92t=
 really be benefit to me.  At the least it would simply cost me=
 time in explanations.  I prefer simple fee structures and I=
 think customers do to.

Pricing structure is important.  I am dubious about claims that a=
 higher fee will send everyone scrambling for the lower price. =
 Most customers are referred and will tolerate a variation in=
 price structure if they trust they are getting good work.  There=
 probably is a point at which a higher price structure will cost=
 you more in lost business than you gain by higher fees.  That=92s=
 the price point you need to find.  If you can work less for=
 higher fees and make the same amount of money, you are better=
 off.  Having a larger client base, however, gives you more=
 access to potential =93other=94 work, rebuilding and things like=
 that so there may be other factors to consider.  A larger client=
 base also gives you an option to pick and choose the work you=
 want to do.  That counts for something as well.
David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net