Key Bushing

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 14:21:23 -0800

Ron N. asked: "Do you just guess long on the second pass then? Also, how =
do you apply=20
glue, and gage the amount? I've wondered how this works with hot hide =
glue.

Ron ,
Spurlock's method is based on Del Fandrich and Larry Erbes technique =
that was developed in the early 70's. The glue is applied with round, =
(wood), cocktail toothpick. It takes a bit of practice, but is easily =
learned and gives consistant glue spread. The gauging with the cloth is =
to the opposite side of the mortise, for the first pass. Likewise, =
except a little "slack" is left so that the depth of felt is equal, (or =
as close to equal as is practical). The trick is to tug on the bushing =
felt, AS the caul is inserted, so that the caul doesn't drag more cloth =
into the hole. It all takes practice.<G> A set of keys, (both rails), =
can be done, from start to finish is about two hours. BTW, I use =
Aluminum cauls, so that they can be heated with an iron, for uniform =
sizing. I prefer the aluminum for the final fit. On the first pass, I =
use wooden cauls, that I've had for 30+ years. I also have many =
different sizes, that I've made, for the weird sizes out there.<G> Also, =
the hide glue has to be about the thickness of heavy cream, to avoid too =
much "wicking". However, some wicking is needed for good firm fit. =
Again, this requires practice.
I tried the BushMaster and found it to be lacking in consistancy. =
(perhaps it was just me!<G>) Really hate waste!=20
Best Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I