Measuring strings for replacement

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Tue, 16 Nov 2004 08:20:02 -0800

Measure an existing string in the same unison.

David I.

From: Cy Shuster <741662027@theshusters.org>
To: Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Measuring strings for replacement

O, List: may I ask yet again to tap in to your collective wisdom?=
  I need to accurately mic a string, and/or round up or down a=
 size, depending on which is safer.

I had a treble string break during tuning yesterday (D#7) on a=
 1975 Kimball console, right next to E7, which had also=
 apparently broken years ago (and was fixed by easing a tuning=
 pin's width of string around the hitch pin).  Unfortunately,=
 this rob-Peter-to-pay-Paul approach failed; the string broke=
 again at the becket long before it got up to pitch.

[Side note: the owner had taught piano and had had it tuned=
 regularly, so I figured the break was due to metal fatigue at=
 the becket.  I was surprised when it broke again at the new=
 becket I had just made.  Shall I expect more breaks?  Does the=
 steel become brittle over time, like brass?  There was a 25W DC=
 bar plugged in, so little string corrosion (and good pin=
 torque).]

I just bought a multi-anvil, friction, vernier micrometer.  I've=
 measured this string (out of the piano, in different places) at=
 .037 twice and .035 once.  There aren't too many straight=
 places; the whole piece is only about a foot long.

Should I use the biggest size I've measured, assuming there may=
 be stretching (especially because of the break), or do I need=
 micrometer lessons?  (Hmm, I should measure the strings on both=
 sides, in the piano...)

Thanks...

--Cy Shuster--
Bluefield, WV