wear and tear on da nerves

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Tue, 16 Nov 2004 10:42:00 EST

=20
David
   I like the way you do business. Yes David I. it was supposed  to be 1 &=20
1/2 hours.Finger slip
   Dale

Actually, I don=E2=80=99t do  it that way.  I considered and  actually tried=
 doing=20
full service appointments for awhile until I realized  that many people only=
=20
want the piano tuned and nothing else.  I also realized that there are some=20=
=20
pianos that, in all honesty, I just don=E2=80=99t want to see for that long.=
  A 1.5 hour=20
appointment would run about  $180. at present (going up to $185. on  1/1/05)=
. =20
I currently charge $130., soon to be $135., for basic tuning.  I=E2=80=99m u=
sually=20
there for 45 minutes to one  hour.   Add $25 - $50. for a pitch raise. =20
Everything else is billed separately.  I will generally do at least some  vo=
icing at=20
each tuning only appointment as part of the basic fee (I always at  least ch=
eck=20
the pedals as well).   Even if it=E2=80=99s only 5-10 minutes, a little bit=20=
of voicing=20
goes a long way  to improve the overall impression of the tuning.  A 1.5 hou=
r=20
appointment will usually  cover (in addition to tuning and not counting a=20
pitch raise) vacuuming out the  piano (add $25 to clean the soundboard) lubr=
icate=20
knuckles and pins, touch up  the voicing, clean the keys if they want (some=20
people don=E2=80=99t).  If it takes me longer or there are  other things to=20=
do, I=20
charge more.   Since I don=E2=80=99t leave a lot of open time in my day, mor=
e involved =20
procedures such as voicing and regulating are often scheduled as a follow up=
 =20
appointment depending on the extent.   I rarely schedule more than 3 appoint=
ments=20
in a day reserving the  afternoons for shop work which I am fortunate to hav=
e=20
plenty of.   Oh, and I always leave Friday  afternoons open for soccer with=20
the kids.  =20
=20
David  Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net =20