Front Rail Punching Interference

D.L. Bullock dlbullock@att.net
Tue, 16 Nov 2004 10:09:54 -0600

I have done all these things and nothing helps all that much.  This should
never happen.  And it happens for both sizes of punchings.  When it does
happen, It means you have too much paper under there.  You can lower the
center rail.  Take out shims.  Or you can add a cardboard shim or two under
the backrail felt and lower all the keys at once.  If you wondered why the
backrail felt is only glued on the front side of its width, now you know.  I
find shims under many original back rails---from the factory --so I know
this was common practice.  It solves the sharp felt messing up the natural
dip problem.

D.L. Bullock    St. Louis
www.thepianoworld.com

Put the worlds greatest healer to work for WHATEVER health problem you may
have----YOUR OWN IMMUNE SYSTEM.  Your body is capable of healing EVERY
disease if you give it the right fuel.  Visit
http://www.mannapages.com/dlbullock to learn how to get the right fuel.
Also www.glycoscience.org
  -----Original Message-----
  From: Farrell [mailto:mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com]
  Sent: Monday, November 15, 2004 5:46 AM
  To: Pianotech
  Subject: Re: Front Rail Punching Interference

  There's one (of many?) thing I've never understood. Exactly where are the
two diameter front rail punchings designed to be used?

  I'm finding that this action was poorly built at the factory also. After
leveling the white keys, I installed the black keys, and found that several
white keys were then too high. Finally figured out that those white keys,
were also resting on the punching pile for the adjacent sharp (sharp center
rail pin is too close to the adjacent natural). Is the only easy/quick
solution to this to trim the punchings? Will they stay in place (not
rotate)?

  Terry Farrell

  I'm getting in on this thread a bit late. I'm wondering if the Toooner,
who "rebuilt" that sucker, put 7/8" punchings in, instead of the usual 3/4"?
    Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
    Captain, Tool Police
    Squares R I