Measuring strings for replacement

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Tue, 16 Nov 2004 12:52:23 -0600

Cy,

D#7 is the 10th string down from the top.  Assuming C8 is strung with 13, and no fewer than 4 notes at each wire gage, your missing string should be no larger than 14 gage.  Why does it measure 15 and 16?  I agree with Stephane, a small bend in the wire can add several thousandths to your reading.  Use the smallest anvil, manipulate the wire while closing the micrometer, and use the lowest reading you get.  If the wire is removed, i.e. not under tension, I find the section that lay across the bridge is usually free of rust and reasonably straight.

Mike

----- Original Message -----
From: Cy Shuster
To: Pianotech
Sent: 11/16/2004 7:48:45 AM
Subject: Measuring strings for replacement

O, List: may I ask yet again to tap in to your collective wisdom?  I need to accurately mic a string, and/or round up or down a size, depending on which is safer.

I had a treble string break during tuning yesterday (D#7) on a 1975 Kimball console, right next to E7, which had also apparently broken years ago (and was fixed by easing a tuning pin's width of string around the hitch pin).  Unfortunately, this rob-Peter-to-pay-Paul approach failed; the string broke again at the becket long before it got up to pitch.

[Side note: the owner had taught piano and had had it tuned regularly, so I figured the break was due to metal fatigue at the becket.  I was surprised when it broke again at the new becket I had just made.  Shall I expect more breaks?  Does the steel become brittle over time, like brass?  There was a 25W DC bar plugged in, so little string corrosion (and good pin torque).]

I just bought a multi-anvil, friction, vernier micrometer.  I've measured this string (out of the piano, in different places) at .037 twice and .035 once.  There aren't too many straight places; the whole piece is only about a foot long.

Should I use the biggest size I've measured, assuming there may be stretching (especially because of the break), or do I need micrometer lessons?  (Hmm, I should measure the strings on both sides, in the piano...)

Thanks...

--Cy Shuster--
Bluefield, WV