CA in a hurry

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 16 Nov 2004 18:57:48 -0500

"...and she is talking about a Steinway!"

Hexigrip pinblock? Do we know what year it is? Is there that much =
difference between three grain angles and two? I guess I'm wondering =
what is the significance of this?

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: antares=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 6:01 PM
  Subject: Re: CA in a hurry

  On 16-nov-04, at 14:55, Don wrote:

    Hi Andr=E9,

    If there is a crack in the pin block over size pins will cause it to
    spread. CA glue works extremely well in this application, especially =
if
    humidity is controlled.

  But Don,
  Barbara (as far as I know) did not mention a crack.
  She wrote :

  "The pins are generally loose, with a few "let go of your tuning =
hammer at watch it fly" types.  Yes, it's a Steinway. Yes, it's in =
miserable shape and I have no qualms about doing whatever I need to do =
to get it hold the tune better than it does now."

  Now, I must tell you that hardly anybody on this side of the pond uses =
CA glue for pin blocks.
  So, if there are no cracks (and she is talking about a Steinway!) why =
use CA glue?
  Modern pin blocks can easily take on over size tuning pins and =
according to me, an oversize tuning pin is much more reliable.

  friendly greetings
  from
  Andr=E9 Oorebeek

  Vita Dura Est