Polishing bass strings

FIXPIANOS@aol.com FIXPIANOS@aol.com
Tue, 16 Nov 2004 21:10:57 EST

Ok, you've had your fun. Now kindly lower yourselves to my level and respond
to an honest question by an RPT with over 30 years of experience. Knowing my
name won't help you answer my question.

I'm talking about new or new-ish strings with some discoloration due to
someone's fingers straying where they shouldn't, as well as brightening-up those
strings that don't need to be replaced yet.

By the way, under my care is a Steinway "D" that came from the factory (in
other words "brand-spanking new") with some sort of oxidation running across 6-8
strings. It looks as though someone took a sweaty hand and just wiped it
across them.

And who among us hasn't left fingerprints on a newly-installed set of bass
strings?

Or perhaps technicians at your level don't do that sort of thing.

Ouch !!!!!!