spoon bender won't fit!

Jon Page jonpage@comcast.net
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 07:55:29 -0500

Raising the hammer rail to half blow is a good idea. Although tying up the
damper rail can be difficult at times.

What I have done is to take a few measurements from the backs of some
damper blocks to the sharp edge
of the hammer rest rail with the action in place. Then with the action on
the bench, wedge the damper lift
rail to duplicate those measurements.  (Dampers are already adjusted as to
even pedal lift).

Then lifting the wippen and 'eyeball' half blow and adjust the spoon
accordingly. But I like the idea of shimming
the rest rail as well, that shouldn't be too difficult to wedge to half
blow. It will reduce minor discrepancies.
It's the same sort of trick to raise the hammers to letoff to facilitate
that adjustment.

Regards,

Jon Page, piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.