Howard Grand identification

Al Finley apfinley@yahoo.com
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 06:09:51 -0800 (PST)

Hi Mike!

What style of fall board does the Howard in your shop have?  Is it hinged where it will fold back on itself and then fold under the stretcher?   If so, it sounds like this one I worked on maybe a Howard after all.

Al

Mike Bratcher <MBratPianos@indy.rr.com> wrote:
Yes, Howards have tuning pin bushings, and yes, some Howards have no support beams.  I have one in the shop now.  I forget if there is writing on the plate.  No emblem that reads "From the House of Baldwin".

Mike Bratcher

----- Original Message -----
From: Al Finley
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 11:30 PM
Subject: Howard Grand identification

Hi Piano Tech list.
I would like to get your input to help me identify a piano I worked on today.  The owners were told it was a Howard grand made by Baldwin.  It has been rebuilt and the Howard name is not on it anymore.  It has tuning pin bushings, no markings on the plate as to the manufacturer, a fall board that folds back on itself and then folds back under.  It has no support beams and is about 5' 5" but I didn't measure it, that's just an estimate.  Could this be a Howard?  Are there other things to look for to help identify it?

 I had my doubts because I know that Baldwin does not have tuning pin bushings (at least not in models that I'm aware of).  Also, I know of no models of Baldwins that do not have support beams.

What do you think?

Al F.