Action flange crushing

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:24:37 -0600

>inthe early days i remember ptg convention classes and instructor told
>about 18 lbs torque for hammer and whippen screw.. i got a torque wrench
>and practiced a little and anybody can get that feell.. it works.. a few my
>collegues came to my shop and practiced with torque wrench to get that
>feel.. try it!!

Hi guys,
I've seen a number of crushed and split flanges through the years. Does it
hurt anything? Only when it hurts something. Like anything else we do, it's
a matter of degree. It seems to me that most badly crushed flanges weren't
crushed by ham-handed tightening of screws, but by insisting on tightening
the screws every dry season, so the expansion of the flanges during the
damp season would crush it a little more every year. I used to see this
mostly on Kimballs and Baldwins around here, where you had to space hammers
with every single tuning, and tighten the flange screws enough to get them
to stay there at least temporarily.

Ron N