Comments re: CA'd pinblocks

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:12:48 -0800

Thumper asked: "I would like to hear comments about restringing blocks
that have been CA'd."

Thumper,
I think that , like "pin doped" pinblocks, the block needs to be =
replaced. After all, the CA treatment is specifically to lengthen the =
tuneable life of the piano, before major work will be needed or the =
piano is scrapped. Having said this, we all need to be very specific =
with clients regarding this procedure. We must tell them this is a last =
ditch effort and anything beyond that will be Rebuilding and replacing =
the block. IMO, CA does work much better than the olde "pin dope". As =
for longivety, who can tell, at this point. I think we all are hoping =
it's like the non-biodegradable plastic in a land fill.....it just won't =
go away. I do think that the CA will have a "life expectancy", but what =
that is, is very hard to tell, at this time. I probably won't live long =
enough to find out, in regard to the ones I've done.
On a similar subject, I have had my first failure with CA. We attempted =
to resurect an olde beater/tuning practice piano, and it didn't work! So =
now, the student gets the experience of putting over-sized pins in =
it.<G>
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police