wait a min..conical punchings?

antares antares@euronet.nl
Thu, 18 Nov 2004 00:53:59 +0100

On 17-nov-04, at 2:46, Alpha88x@aol.com wrote:

> Greetings,
>

>  =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 What sort of problem will conical punchings =
cure? I mised=20
> something.
>
>  Julia
>  Reading., PA

Well, that is a subtle issue but not hard to explain :
It is a matter of transferring energy.
If the upper surface of the front punching is the smallest, the=20
transfer of energy will be enhanced to the bottom more easily.
Suppose you strike a giant, non conical, front punching with your fist,=20=

and you strike that front punching in the middle....
Part of the energy will be absorbed by the outermost sides of that very=20=

same punching and the sides may even curl up a little.

Now you have a giant conical front punching, meaning that the upper=20
surface is smaller that the bottom side, and you again strike it in the=20=

middle.
There is less mass on the upper side, so the transfer of energy to the=20=

bottom is more direct.
That's the meaning of a conical punching.

Of course, the effect will be even stronger if the fabric of the front=20=

punching is not soft, the way so many front punchings are, but instead=20=

more dense and thus more firm.
That's the beauty of the front punching I described before : It is more=20=

dense because it is made of very dense felt instead of woven fabric.
A more dense front punching allows for a more precise key depth. A more=20=

precise key depth allows for a more precise regulation. A more precise=20=

regulation allows for a more precise after touch. A more precise after=20=

touch allows for a more precise hammer striking distance. A more=20
defined hammer striking distance allows for more energy, and more=20
energy allows for a better transfer of energy.
So there the circle is rounded : one of the smaller parts of our=20
actions, the front punching, plays actually a major role in the forming=20=

and making of tone.
The making of tone is, in the end, what it is all about.

Since you obviously have not followed the front punching discussion, I=20=

will repeat what I wrote before :

quote :

"  One of the very great developments of our business here in Holland=20
is the new front punching called "Grand Piano Punching".
> I have worked for years on this and we now offer this punching world=20=

> wide.
> And why then is it so very nice one could ask?
> Because it has a fantastic homogenous density, but at the same time it=20=

> is not too hard.
> It makes for a very sharp after touch, and thus for the sharpest=20
> regulation possible.
> As I said, it took me years to get this together, and it is even=20
> better than the Yamaha or Steinway punching because of its density and=20=

> firmness.
>
> I wrote about this before : after touch should be =B1 0,4 mm, meaning=20=

> that after drop, and after the landing of the hammer, we should be=20
> able to move the hammer up 0,4 mm by softly pressing the key. If you=20=

> see no movement at all, you have no after touch. If you see a lot of=20=

> movement, your front punching is too soft or you have too much after=20=

> touch.... which is it?
> That's why you need to make sure that before you start a regulation,=20=

> your front punching is of the right firmness.
>
> I will explain once more :
> A key is like a sea saw.
> Usually, we find an old car tire under both sides of the sea saw to=20
> soften the impact. Nevertheless, a little child sitting on the high=20
> end of the sea saw will bump upwards slightly because of the impact at=20=

> the lower end.
> Now, if we take away the tires, the impact will be much harder and it=20=

> will hurt the behind of the child coming down, but it will also cause=20=

> the other child to almost get airborne, because the force of the=20
> impact is much stronger.
> That is the an analogy in regard to a more firm front punching : It=20
> causes a more intense transfer of energy and thereby creates a louder=20=

> tone.
> Your regulation can be more precise, thereby giving you the maximum=20
> tonal output.
>
> I often ask a critical technician or pianist to listen to a particular=20=

> tone and to feel its touch. I then exchange the front punching with=20
> our own front punching, and I ask the same person to
> listen and feel again. They always are flabbergasted by the result."

unquote.

This stuff is more important than you might think.
So think about it deeply.

friendly greetings
from
Andr=E9 Oorebeek